Amanda-Users

DLEs with large numbers of files

2006-05-02 17:54:02
Subject: DLEs with large numbers of files
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:49:47 -0400
Hello everyone,

I recognize that this isn't really related to Amanda, but I thought
I'd see if anyone has a good trick...

A number of DLEs in my Amanda configuration have a huge number of
small files (sometimes hardlinks and symlinks, sometimes just copies)
- often times in the millions.  Of course this is a class corner case and
these DLEs can take a very long time to backup/restore.

Currently, they are mostly using dump (which will usually report
1-3MiB/s throughput).  Is there a possible performance advantage to using
tar instead?

On some of our installations I have bumped up the data timeouts.  I've
got one as high as 5400 seconds.  I suspect a reasonable maximum is
very installation dependant, but if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to
hear them.

Thanks for any ideas!

--
Ross Vandegrift