Amanda-Users

Re: Disabling LTO-2 hardware compression

2006-05-02 10:38:49
Subject: Re: Disabling LTO-2 hardware compression
From: "Guy Dallaire" <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:36:30 -0400

2006/5/2, Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>:

> Problem is, the tape drive in the library always seems to have hardware
> compression ON. There is no way on the library operator panel to force
> the compression OFF.

How did you find out?  Used "amtapetype -c"?  (just curious)

No, the operator control panel has a status menu where you can show the drive parameters, compression is ON.

I have tried this:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Hardware_compression

And sent the mt command to the drive. but it seems to reset to HW compression while reusing a tape. It looks like when it read the tape header, it sees that the tape was written with HW compression and resets itself.

My tapes are already labeled, I could probably just rewrite the label with HW compression OFF (The wiki could be a bit cleared about that, what does " Re-write the label block and write more /dev/zero blocks to flush its buffers" exactly mean, won't it overwrite the stuff AFTER the label (the Backups that is), but considering that it does not hurt to leav it on, I'll keep it that way.

Thanks