Amanda-Users

RE: Disabling LTO-2 hardware compression

2006-05-02 10:56:55
Subject: RE: Disabling LTO-2 hardware compression
From: uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:53:26 +0200
Hello Guy,

On Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:18 PM Guy Dallaire wrote:
> I've heard that LTO2 drives can easily cope with already compressed
> data (and do not try to re compress it). Is this true ?

I don't know that.

> Has anyone devised a way to force hw compression off on a similar setup ?

I recently has some power struggle with Tandberg SLR7 and LTO-1 hardware
compression. I lost.

Seriously, I tried to switch hw comp. off with Linux scsi commands (see
older threads "SLR7" in this list) and at the end I had to send the drive to
Tandberg for repair.

Until now I don't know what happened exactly because Tandberg sent the
repaired drive back to me without any comment and with hw comp. on again.

My solution (for SLR7 and LTO-1) was as follows:
Exchange the boot hardisk in the amanda machine with a new one
Install MS Win XP
Install SCSI Card driver
Install LTO Driver
Install Tandberg Toolkit (www.tandberg.com)
switch hw comp. off
Exchange the windows boot harddisk with your original one
done.

It's not a joke, I am sorry.

Best regards
Uwe