Amanda-Users

Re: Mutliple configs sharing the same indexes

2006-04-24 07:10:27
Subject: Re: Mutliple configs sharing the same indexes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:07:12 +0200
On 2006-04-24 02:38, stan wrote:
I'm trying to finish up a configuration that normally backus up
to a RAIT of one vtape, and one real tape. The backup side of
this is working.

I wnat to have a disk_only (and perhaps a tape_only) config, that
will only be used to restor things. I've set up a common amanda
confi file  in ../amanda.conf.main, and all 3 configs amanda.conf
file include it. In it I have:

nfofile "/opt/amanda/var/DailyDump/curinfo"    # database DIRECTORY
logdir   "/opt/amanda/var/DailyDump"            # log directory
indexdir "/opt/amanda/var/DailyDump/index"      # index directory

DailyDump is the "prime" configuration.

DailyDump's amanda.conf file looks like this:

ncludefile "/opt/amanda/etc/amanda.conf.main"
tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/opt/amanda/etc/DailyDump/chg-multi.conf"
tapetype RAIT

Just verifying that Amanda thinks the same as we:

  $ amgetconf DailyDumps indexdir

That's everyhting that is in it.

disk_only's amanda.conf looks like this:

includefile "/opt/amanda/etc/amanda.conf.main"
tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/opt/amanda/etc/disk_only/chg-multi.conf"
tapetype HARD-DISK

And verify again that Amanda has the same result for indexdir
here:

  $ amgetconf disk_only indexdir

But look at this:

root@amanda:/tmp# /opt/ama*/sbin/amrecover DailyDump
[...]
200 Disk set to /.
/tmp
WARNING: not on root of selected filesystem, check man-page!

So far, so good right? But then:

root@amanda:/tmp# /opt/ama*/sbin/amrecover disk_only
[...]
200 Disk set to /.
No index records for disk for specified date
If date correct, notify system administrator
Invalid directory - /tmp

Can't sem to find the index records, right? But it _should_ be able to
as they are configured in the common amanda config file. Or do the
index records somehow reference teh configuration? If so, can I
overide this somehow?

Also have a look in the /tmp/amanda/ directory on the index-server,
and examine the files "amindexd.datetime.debug" for any other
indications.  (stupid question:  remembering that you had trouble
with DNS: are you 100% sure that "amanda.meadwestvaco.com" is always
the same computer, i.e. DNS has only one IP-number for that host?
Do you find the amindexd.datetime.debug file for each session?)

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *