Amanda-Users

Re: Changing vtape parameters in a live system?

2006-04-17 14:30:59
Subject: Re: Changing vtape parameters in a live system?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:28:19 -0400
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:19:12PM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>       Is it safe to change the length of a vtape definition on a
> live system?  One of our system was originally defined with 100GiB
> vtapes, and I'd like to bump that size up to 200+GiB.
>
>       I guess if the answer is no I can always add a new tapetype
> and manually rotate the old vtapes out, but I'm wondering if I can
> just extend the length to make my life easier.

Aside from the possibility of running the physical disk out of space
if amanda uses all that extra space per tape, I don't think there is
a problem.

There certainly were no problems when I went from a 12GB physical
tape with changer to a 100GB tape without.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)