Amanda-Users

Re: Sometimes clients aren't there...

2006-04-11 12:47:17
Subject: Re: Sometimes clients aren't there...
From: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
To: Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:38:54 -0400
Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com> writes:

> With our setup, there are a couple of clients that may or may not be
> present when amdump runs. What I'm wondering is if there is a way I
> can tell amanda that it's relatively okay for those clients to be
> absent.
>
> I guess it's mostly a cosmetic thing, but I don't consider it an
> "error" for them to be missing unless they've been missing too long
> (where too long is kinda fuzzy).
>
> Is there some way to configure amanda to handle this? Treat it as a
> "strange" rather than a failure? Am I simply off my chump? :-)

I don't know of a way to do what you want, but I concur that it's a
reasonable thing to want.

At my group at BBN, we back up laptops using a daily amanda during the
day with a disklist having just the laptops and no tape drive, and
then do another run overnight with autoflush yes, a disklist with all
devices, and a real tape.

It would be nice to cut down on noise in the output.

I suggest the following change (note  that I'm still on 2.4
mentally):

  add a "dontcomplain N" option to dumptypes, that suppresses or
  downgrades the warning if the DLE has a successful dump within the
  last N scheduled runs

In our world, I'd probably set this to 3.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>