Amanda-Users

Okay, this one's going to sound like a stupid idea :-)

2006-04-11 12:43:11
Subject: Okay, this one's going to sound like a stupid idea :-)
From: Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:40:21 -0700
Hi all,

Now that everything appears to be working, I'm getting ambitious (possibly stupid).

For context, I'm backing up a small network to DVD-R sized vtapes that I then burn to DVD-R.

Oh, did I mention that I'm somewhat paranoid? :-) I know that DVD-R, especially the cheap media that I buy, isn't the most reliable in the world. I get initial losses (burns don't verify) of about 10%. Then I look at RAIT, the additional 20% media I'd need for a 5-tape RAIT seems like a nifty idea to increase the reliability.

I tried setting up a simple chg-rait that was based on 5 chg-disk changers and it merrily blew up in my face.

Has anyone set up vtapes like this? I've seen some notes about using RAIT to mirror vtapes and physical tapes, but that's not what I'm after. I'd love to have 5 chg-disk changers being run by a chg-rait so that I end up with 5 DVD-R images / tape.

Please let me know if:

a) I'm seriously off my nut,
b) You've tried this and succeeded (and any tips you might have)
c) You've tried this and not suceeded
d) You know for a fact that this won't work
e) I'm seriously off my nut.

I'll keep fiddling with it to see if I can pull it off, and if so I'll be sure to share my results.

Thanks!
Bruce.