Amanda-Users

Re: number of drives in a RAIT system?

2006-04-10 04:56:14
Subject: Re: number of drives in a RAIT system?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:50:34 +0200
On 2006-04-10 07:11, Toomas Aas wrote:
stan wrote:

I'm wondering if I can do something with, say, 5
old DDS2 drives to give me a decent size?

AFAIK, and if I may loosely compare RAIT to RAID, there is no RAIT0, so to speak. Meaning that RAIT doesn't give you a larger 'virtual' backup media, it merely allows to 'mirror' your backup to two (or more?) devices.

Amanda can do what you want, but this doesn't involve RAIT. If you want a single backup run to use 5 DDS2 tapes, you should set 'numtapes' to 5 in amanda.conf and configure a changer. If you don't have an actual tape changer hardware, you can configure a 'human' changer using chg-manual.

A RAIT with X tapes gives you a virtual tape capacity of X-1 times
the capacity of a single tape. Amanda can do RAIT with 2, 3 and 5 tapes. (RAIT with 2 drives is a simple mirror.)

So with 5 DDS2 drives each 4 GB capacity in a RAIT you get "single"
tape capacity of about 16 GByte.  This also help you in increasing
the limitation of "one chunk <= one tape".
(One chunk = one backup image in pre-2.5.0.)

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *