Amanda-Users

maxpromoteday

2006-04-10 01:08:37
Subject: maxpromoteday
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:02:18 +0300
Hello!

I'm trying to avoid the situation where some DLEs get multiple level0 backups during the dumpcycle. This is because I'm running with vtapes that are somewhat "over-drafting" the actual capacity of the backup-harddisk.

It seems from the documentation that I should set 'maxpromoteday' to 2, 1 or even 0. That's fine, I'll do that. But I must admit that I don't quite understand the meaning of maxpromoteday parameter, except that setting it to smaller number causes Amanda to promote dumps less aggressively. Can anyone explain it? If I set maxpromoteday to, say, 3, then how does this '3' actually influence the planner?

--
Toomas Aas