Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda daily report question

2006-04-07 08:40:19
Subject: Re: Amanda daily report question
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:36:14 -0400
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:29:58PM +0100, Anne Wilson enlightened us:
> > Strange is OK, it's the Failure's you have to worry about.
> > Looks good to me.
> >
> Thanks, Matt.  I think that only leaves splitting down the big one into
> smaller jobs, and I'm ready to schedule.
>
> Basically, I have some big directories containing video and photos, that
> don't
> compress well, but don't change very much either, while the rest is small
> files in formats that should compress well but are more fluid.  I'm guessing
> that it would be useful to split them to reflect that.  Or doesn't it matter
> very much?

If you know they're not compressable, you could skip that for those specific
DLE's (e.g. use user-tar instead of comp-tar). That should save some time
and CPU cycles on your backup cycle.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could probably change the frequency
of Level 0's on the mostly-static DLEs to save space, but I'm not sure I'd
bother with it.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak