Amanda-Users

Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes

2006-04-02 15:25:10
Subject: Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:20:54 +0200
stan schreef:

I believe that I need to set up 3 configs for this to work correctly.
They are:

1. The primary config (DailyDump) in my case, used for normal backups.
2. A tape only config (tape_only in my case). This will be used for labeling
   the physical atpes, and for recovering from physical tapes, after
   the vtape half of the mirror is gone.
3. A disk only (disk_only in my case). Used for recovering from vtapes
   without having to mount the physical tape. Potentially while a backup
   is still running.

Note that the first config is for creating the dumps.
The other are just for ease of restoring.
Moreover, the second config (tape only), is not needed, when you
give the tape device to amreover: "amrecover rait -d /dev/nst0",
or even "settape /dev/nst0" from withing amrecover.
(compare this to "amrecover rait-only-tape" and the number of character
is about the same :-) )

Now, it seems to me that these 3 configs will need to share a good bit
of stuff. The amanda.conf's will be different (although I'm using the
include directive to bring in many common pieces). I would assume that the disklist could be linked to each config directory. Which leaves (at least) the following or discussion:

infofile (I think this should be common)
logdir (I'm uncertain of this0.
indexdir (this pretty much has to be common.

All the same.  They are written by the main config only.
And consulted by the restore-only config.

What should I do about tapelist? Also, I'm thinking that dumpcycle ,
runspercycle , and tapecycle will need to be the same everywhere.
a 4, 20, and 25 in my case.

It doesn't matter, because you don't write with the restore-only config.
Actually, making tapelist unwriteable in the recover-only list will
probably prevent that from being used accidently for flushing.

Finally, what should I do about changerfile? I'm using chg-multi.

To avoid messing with the "current" tape of the changer with vtape-only,
make the changerfile different than the main.