Amanda-Users

Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes

2006-04-02 13:55:01
Subject: Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:46:21 -0400
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:18:41PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 10:43:30AM -0400, stan wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 10:05:11AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:51:59PM -0500, stan wrote:
> >
> > Sorry. here is what I have:
> >
> > dumpcycle 4 weeks
> > runspercycle 20
> > tapecycle 25 tapes
> >
> > EG, 25 tapes in rotation. 5 runs per week, and tapes enough
> > for 4 weeks before I need to reuse a physical tape.
>
> That would mean some DLEs, sans promotion, would get only
> one level 0 a month.  You would have either one or at most
> two level 0's in the entire 25 tapes for those DLEs.  Suppose
> a tape containing that level 0 went bad or the host was down
> just as that single level 0 was overwritten on the next cycle.
> Then you might have no level 0.

That is true. But in practice promotion has prevented that from
occuring in the past.

Stiil you have given good advice, and I will change my settings
as you suggest, thatnks for the advice.

> > > Sure you don't mean 7 days per dumpcycle (time between level 0's),
> > > 5 runs (weekdays) per dumpcycle, and 25 tapes in rotation?
> >
> > Maybe that would be better. I guess I'm depending on the promotion
> > of dumps that are not "due", teh way I have it, right?
> >

> > > If the above, I'd also suggest listing tapecycle as 20 even if you
> > > actually rotate 25 tapes.  If one goes bad you will still be able
> > > to use the next one rather than finding a blank one to label as
> > > a new tape in a crunch.
> >
> > I don;t like that as it defeats some of the "protection" of inserting
> > the wrong tape, and overwriting.
>
> But only for the 21 - 25th least recently used tapes (oldest dumps).
> What ever floats your boat is fine.

Well, actually, given that all 25 tapes have been labled, and run
through a minimum of 1 cycles. My experience has been that insert any,
but the correct atpe, from the set of 25 will prevent it from being
overwriten.

Thanks.

BTW, one more question.

Having the changer settings in all 3 configs will not create an issue,
will it?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror