Amanda-Users

Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes

2006-04-02 10:12:10
Subject: Re: More questions anout a RAIT that has physical and vtapes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:05:11 -0400
On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:51:59PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I'm in the (hopefully) final stages of setting up my new
> Amanda machine.
>
> I want to use a combination of vtapes, and physical tapes
> in a RAIT. At the moment, I have 10 vtapes set up but I
> may reduce that to 5. My physical tape is a Ultrim 3, which
> has a marketing capacity of 400G. I have 1.2T of space to use
> for vtapes. I want to use 25 physical tapes in rotation.
>
> Based upon some suggestions from anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk,
> I have modified his script that sets the changer position
> to a given portion, and then copies the disklabel from the phys.
> tape to the vtape. Here is what I wound up with for that
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> VTAPE=file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape$1
> DEV=/dev/nst0
>
> AMMT=/opt/amanda/sbin/ammt
> AMDD=/opt/amanda/sbin/amdd
> AMDUMP=/opt/amanda/sbin/amdump
> AMTAPE=/opt/amanda/sbin/amtape
>
> $AMMT -t $VTAPE rewind
> $AMMT -t $DEV rewind
> $AMDD if=$DEV of=$VTAPE bs=32k count=1 2>&1 > /dev/null
>
> $AMTAPE DailyDump slot $1
> $AMDUMP DailyDump
>
> I believe that I need to set up 3 configs for this to work correctly.
> They are:
>
> 1. The primary config (DailyDump) in my case, used for normal backups.
> 2. A tape only config (tape_only in my case). This will be used for labeling
>    the physical atpes, and for recovering from physical tapes, after
>    the vtape half of the mirror is gone.
> 3. A disk only (disk_only in my case). Used for recovering from vtapes
>    without having to mount the physical tape. Potentially while a backup
>    is still running.
>
> Now, it seems to me that these 3 configs will need to share a good bit
> of stuff. The amanda.conf's will be different (although I'm using the
> include directive to bring in many common pieces). I would assume that
> the disklist could be linked to each config directory. Which leaves (at
> least) the following or discussion:
>
> infofile (I think this should be common)
> logdir (I'm uncertain of this0.
> indexdir (this pretty much has to be common.

Never tried, submitted for your consideration and comments (you == list).

All three configs identical (actually links) except for a file
listing the device for that config (RAIT, FILE, or /dev) which
as you suggest is sourced (included) into amanda.conf.

Same tape list suggests also 25 vtapes, which you create and label.

25 vtapes, if filled with data would overwhelm your 1.2 TB available
space (never thought I'd type 1.2 TB was overwhelmed ;) so a separate
non-amanda system is needed to keep them trimmed.  Something like,
before each amdump run execute the script to sort the vtapes by
date of last use AND eliminate from the list those that have less
than some trigger amount of data.  When running normally that should
give you a fairly consistant number of vtapes (??3, 4, 5, 6??).  If
the list is longer than some number (your choice) pick off the oldest
above that number and have the script delete all the data files leaving
the tape label and other necessary files.  That should free up the space
for the days amdump run.

> What should I do about tapelist?

Same for all (links) but if you try to recover old stuff from vtape
you get errors.

> Also, I'm thinking that dumpcycle ,
> runspercycle , and tapecycle will need to be the same everywhere.
> a 4, 20, and 25 in my case.

I don't get these numbers.  4 day dump cycle?  Or is that 4 week?
20 runs is ?4 days  ?4 weeks  ??

Sure you don't mean 7 days per dumpcycle (time between level 0's),
5 runs (weekdays) per dumpcycle, and 25 tapes in rotation?

If the above, I'd also suggest listing tapecycle as 20 even if you
actually rotate 25 tapes.  If one goes bad you will still be able
to use the next one rather than finding a blank one to label as
a new tape in a crunch.

jl

> Finally, what should I do about changerfile? I'm using chg-multi.
>
> Thanks for any advice on this somewhat convoluted setup.
>
> --
> U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
> Terror
> - New York Times 9/3/1967
>
>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)