Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-13 10:10:52
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:05:00 +0100
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 15:57 +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-03-13 15:45, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have a rather old workstation running tao 1 (is RHEL 3) with amanda
> > amanda-2.4.4p1-0.3E.1 . Since this is too old for vdisks, we just backup
> > to the holding disk. But it makes lots of level 0 backups. Some
> > filesystems have level 0 just every day!
>
> Vtapes (vdisks as you call them) exist since 2.4.3, so that should
> not be a problem.  For the configuration see:
>
>    http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver

Sorry, for misspelling. I really have to apologize. I was so sure, they
existed just in later versions. And I just couldn't find the driver for
vtapes. Could it be, that this is to be installed sperately?

> > Is there a way to make level incemental backups more often? Making more
> > fulls throughout the backup cycle is ok since we got enough space, but
> > not that many!
>
> What is your schedule?  (dumpcycle, etc.)

dumpcycle 8 days. amanda run from a script within crontab every day.

> Are these dumps promoted frequently?

Yes. Every day

> How/when do you remove the older holdingdisk backups?

There is a procedure within our script, which deletes any directory
named after a date, older than 9 days with "rm -fr"

> I never have run for an extended period with backups to holdingdisk
> only.  Maybe there is some logic in Amanda that thinks you do not
> have a full backup to tape, and thus creates a level 0 again.

This could be it. If I get vtapes running, I could prove that. Maybe
there is another way for that. I can live with the "Tape error" it tells
me every day.

Thanks anyway for the answer.

Regards,
Thomas

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *