Amanda-Users

Which is the correct way to backup windows servers using amanda? Is there one?

2006-03-09 08:47:23
Subject: Which is the correct way to backup windows servers using amanda? Is there one?
From: Moritz Both <mb AT aldebaran DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:43:19 +0100

Which is the correct way to backup windows servers using amanda? Is there one?

First of all, I think this must have been discussed a lot of times on the list - probably. Unfortunately, I did not have much luck searching the archives, only random single statements -

We are running amanda for years now. For us, backup of windows servers is a non-issue because we don't have production win servers. However, a customer of us has several such servers. Backup is done through a debian sarge linux server using amanda and SMB (samba 3).

Recently, they has a headcrash on a non-mirrored disk and the tapes were needed. As it turned out, all backups of the windows servers were incomplete. smbclient thought 70-80 files per directory must be enough. At backup time, it just went ahead to the next directory, and whenever a directory contained more than this many files, they were simply ignored without any warning or error message.

The result is massive data loss. (Professional hardware data recovery failed.)

We installed a samba update on the debian sarge server. Now, more files make it to the tape, but some other bug in smbclient makes it fail after it has run for a certain time. We have no clue why, but it would start to write bad filenames to the tar archive with repeated equal names and dozends of empty files... we came to the conclusion that smbclient it not the correct way to do backups. At least not for the data volume in question (~50 GByte compressed, > 100,000 files).

Now the question: How do folks make backups of windows servers? Is cygwin a real solution - or is it just a hack as well? Does the native Win32 amanda client ("beta") on sourceforge work? Or are you using native windows backup software with its own tape drive?

Thanks for any hints!
Moritz

--
Moritz Both
aldebaran Daten- und Kommunikationssysteme GmbH