Amanda-Users

Re: Wrong amadmin reports and missing data

2006-03-09 08:24:50
Subject: Re: Wrong amadmin reports and missing data
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Iulian Topliceanu <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:22:04 +0100
On 2006-03-09 13:25, Iulian Topliceanu wrote:

I'm using AMANDA server 2.4.5p1 on a RH 9 having DLT tapes and vtapes as
well.

All the backup clients are Linux machines using ext3 fs.

I had two particular problem with a client running CentOS and using
tar-1.14 and amanda-client 2.4.5p1.

The CentOS tar-1.14 that I use does work fine AFAIK, and I also use Amanda 2.4.5p1 on the production server (and clients).

1: amadmin (and the mail reports as well) reported that /var/spool/mail/p
level 0 dump, was on vtape-7, but for unknown reasons, vtape-7 didn't
contain any data regarding /var/spool/mail/p,  it contained
other data that had no relevance.

Here you talk about "vtape-7", below you talk about "vtapes-7", plural.
Typing mistake in the mail, I presume...

"other data"?  amanda backups? or garbage?

One other thing: is the /var/spool/mail/p a directory or a plain file?

I wasn't able to find /var/spool/mail/p level 0 dump, on any of the
vtapes. The backup was inconsistent.

What do you mean with "inconsistent" here?
Is that entry the only one that is missing, and seems the rest to
be OK?

I've checked the history of AMANDA, and /var/spool/mail/p level 0 dump,
was reported to be on vtapes-7, and there wasn't any error during the
backup procedure.

... "vtapes-7" ...

The dump definition looks like this:

dumpcycle 10 day        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 8  day    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 12 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

seems fine.

Can I still trust AMANDA reports or should I do a manual check?

I trust them.  But you don't have to believe me.
If you have reason to not trust them, then extra checks are appropriate.
However, would those extra checks have detected an error that Amanda
was unable to?  What kind of extra checks did you think of?

2: the last level 0 dump of /var/spool/mail/p was on the 24.02, and the
of /var/spool/mail/p was missing, the incremental backup of
/var/spool/mail/p should have had included all the new mails between 24.02
- 27.02.

How is is possible for GNUtar to skip files that have a ctime newer than
the last level 0 dump?

Do you mean that the level 1 dump did not contain the expected files either? Did it contain anything at all?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *