Amanda-Users

Re: Wrong amadmin reports and missing data

2006-03-09 12:18:36
Subject: Re: Wrong amadmin reports and missing data
From: "Iulian Topliceanu" <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:14:30 +0100 (CET)
> On 2006-03-09 17:19, Iulian Topliceanu wrote:
>> Paul Bijnens wrote:

>>> seems fine.
>>>

>> Amanda reported that the dumps where successfully to tape vtape-7, but
>> taking a simple look to what that vtape-7 contained (using ls), has
>> proved
>> the opposite, there was no sign of /var/spool/mail/p (and the other
>> DLE's
>> which had the same problem) on vtape-7.
>>
>> vtape-7 contained  /data/data0/share1 (directory, which I said above,
>> was
>> reported not to be backuped successfully)
>>
>> I should mention that these this didn't occure on the same run. My guess
>> is that Amanda backuped successfully /var/spool/mail/p (and the other
>> DLE's) on the 24.02 and wrote them to vtape-7, but on the 2.03 when this
>> error occured:
>>
>> baal /data/data0/share1 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, 31665455
>> KB,
>> incremental dump also larger than tape]
>>
>> The dumps where written again on vtape-7, so that's the reason why
>> /data/data0/share1 appears to pe on vtape-7 instead of /var/spool/mail/p
>> (and the other DLE's)
> [...]
>>
>> I've noticed that 12 vtapes where used in less than 10 days (the
>> dumpcycle
>> = 10 days) but is that an excuse for missing data?
>
> Again on vtape-7 ???  How is that possible?
> Do you have runtapes > 1 ?
> Or do you run amdump multiple times a day?

Amanda uses sometime more than 1 tape per run. That's why vtape-7 was
again next. So even if I would have defined runtapes 1, Amanda would have
used more.

> Any idea why amadmin still believes that vtape-7 contains the data
> from feb 24, and not data from mar 2 ?

This is what I'm trying to find out. and I have no logical explanation yet.

>>Level 1 dump didn't contain *all* of the expected files. Some of the mails
>>received during the level 0 dump and level 1 dump, where not present.
>>
>>I should add that the volume /var/spool/mail (which is split in
>>/var/spool/mail/[a-z]) is 130 GB big and has ~7 million inodes.

What about the missing files? Does anyone have a clue about how something
like this is possible? Is it because of the huge number of inodes on the
fs?

Iulian Topliceanu