Amanda-Users

Re: Still: Problems with amrestore - please HELP - stderr output

2006-02-23 11:21:08
Subject: Re: Still: Problems with amrestore - please HELP - stderr output
From: Radek Cisz <R.Cisz AT europapier-impap DOT pl>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:30:05 +0100

Its dump archive.
please see my first letter below

Regards:
Hello everyone,
please advice...

I have two servers. One for production and second as backup.

Both have streamers that read LTO tapes.

On these servers I have installed Suse 9.0 and amanda from rpm package.

When I do backup with amanda on production server , then I can restore it on the same production server without any problems.
But when I try to restore it on backup server I got message that backup is not dump or tar type (I understand these issues and do dump backup)

The same is on backup server. When i do backup on it, then I can restore on localhost, but can not restore on production server (the same messages)

These restors are not by network, then local restoration from streamer...

Maybe this is some issue with encryption? Maybe rpm package was compiled with it? I dont know how to check it ...

Does anyone has any ideas???

Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Sent by: owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

2006-02-23 16:24

Radek Cisz <R.Cisz AT europapier-impap DOT pl>
cc
amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Subject

On 2006-02-23 16:19, Radek Cisz wrote:

> When I run amrestore like this
> amrestore -f 0 -p /dev/nst0 localhost sda2 | restore -ivb2 -f -
>
> I got message:
>
> Verify tape and initialize maps
> Input is from a local file/pipe
> amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20060223 label EPIP2
> amrestore:   1: restoring localhost.sda2.20060223.0
> restore: Tape is not a dump tape

Is it a dump image or is it gnutar image?

> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 1024+1024, wrote 0
> amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.
>
> Of course I CAN RESTORE it on production server where it was backed up ! ?
>
> Please advice ... I'm loosing faith in my self and open source ;-)

There is no substitute for learning.  But for Open Source software
at least you're not bound by the details that the vendor publishes.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512