Amanda-Users

Re: migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5

2006-02-13 17:18:25
Subject: Re: migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5
From: Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ram TK Krishnamurthy <tk AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:08:11 -0600
2006/2/13, Ram TK Krishnamurthy <tk AT zmanda DOT com>:
> > Question 5:
> > I have also read that amanda is not able to append to a tape.  At the
> > moment the incrementals and differentials write to the same tape for
> > the same b/u job.   If I can not append to the tape do I need to
> > change them after each incremental?   I think I am not understanding
> > this correctly.
>
> You have to think of it as a run of the back-up. So after each back-up
> run, amanda needs a new tape.

The incremental b/u of our home directories uses about 400 megabytes
of space on a 160-320 gigabyte tape.  It does not make sense to change
tape for each incremental run.  Actually we do not change tape at all.
 We append the incrementals and when the tape fills up, we start over
again.   Actually it is a pool of 2 tapes, but the concept is the
same.   I could divide the b/u of the home directories into 2 jobs.

I still have the feeling that I am not understanding how Amanda works.

--
Enrico Indiogine
Parasol Laboratory

enricoi AT cs.tamu DOT edu