Amanda-Users

migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5

2006-02-13 16:39:13
Subject: migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5
From: Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:30:54 -0600
Question 3:

>From reading the documentation it seems that I have to backup a
complete filesystem and can not simply define a b/u directory like a
/home/user1

Is this correct?

Question 4:

The tapedevice is:

define tapetype SDLT320 {
     comment "HP Super DLTtape I, data cartridge, C7980A"
     length 139776 mbytes
     filemark 0 kbytes
     speed 13980 kps
 }

I obtained the specifics from the Amanda wiki.  When I define the b/u
job in the dump type definitions section of amanda.conf do I need to
specify any compression?   I do not think that the tape drive does
any.  At least with BRU you do not need to worry about that setting.

Question 5:

I have also read that amanda is not able to append to a tape.  At the
moment the incrementals and differentials write to the same tape for
the same b/u job.   If I can not append to the tape do I need to
change them after each incremental?   I think I am not understanding
this correctly.

Thanks!

--
Enrico Indiogine