Amanda-Users

Re: migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5

2006-02-13 17:01:14
Subject: Re: migrating to amanda questions 3, 4 & 5
From: "Ram \"TK\" Krishnamurthy" <tk AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:58:13 -0800

Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
Question 3:

From reading the documentation it seems that I have to backup a
complete filesystem and can not simply define a b/u directory like a
/home/user1

Is this correct?

You can. The file disklist in /etc/amanda/ contains the information.

Question 4:

The tapedevice is:

define tapetype SDLT320 {
     comment "HP Super DLTtape I, data cartridge, C7980A"
     length 139776 mbytes
     filemark 0 kbytes
     speed 13980 kps
 }

I obtained the specifics from the Amanda wiki.  When I define the b/u
job in the dump type definitions section of amanda.conf do I need to
specify any compression?   I do not think that the tape drive does
any.  At least with BRU you do not need to worry about that setting.

You can diffine compression type in the disklist as well. A part of the DLE entry.

Question 5:

I have also read that amanda is not able to append to a tape.  At the
moment the incrementals and differentials write to the same tape for
the same b/u job.   If I can not append to the tape do I need to
change them after each incremental?   I think I am not understanding
this correctly.

You have to think of it as a run of the back-up. So after each back-up run, amanda needs a new tape.

Thanks
tk

Thanks!

--