Amanda-Users

Re: data timeout error

2006-02-09 14:42:46
Subject: Re: data timeout error
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:32:08 -0500
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:31:11PM -0500, Guy Dallaire enlightened us:
> 2006/2/9, Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>:
> >

> > Check the setting of your dtimeout value in amanda.conf.
> >
> > You might also want to check out
> > http://www.amanda.org/docs/faq.html#id2551493 if you have a firewall
> > configured on your CentOS box.
>

> Hum... My dtimeout parameter has already been bumped from 20 minutes to 40
> minutes (2400 seconds) Does this mean that there might be a delay of 40
> minutes between EACH PACKET (Which is totally ridiculous) or does that mean
> that the backup of a client (or a DLE) cannot take more than 40 minutes from
> start to finish ? If so, where do I look for debugging ?

I believe once the client starts performing the backup, no data is sent
until it is completed. If any DLE takes longer than dtimeout * numberofDLEs,
you'll get that problem.

I would start on the client and look at the log files. You should be able to
see how long it takes to complete the backup. If it's longer than your
dtimeout allows for, you'll know where the problem is.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics