Amanda-Users

Re: DUMP and GNUTAR fail if backup > about 50GB

2006-02-09 10:21:01
Subject: Re: DUMP and GNUTAR fail if backup > about 50GB
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:10:28 -0500
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:27:14AM +0100, Sebastian Koesters wrote:

>> - if a subdirectory, are you using gnutar (program "GNUTAR")
>>
>> - if you clear out the debug files from /tmp/amanda (or where ever it
>>   is config'ed to be) on both the server and the client and you comment
>>   every DLE in the disklist except for the problem one pst:/pst then
>>   run amdump manually, what are the results, how long does it take,
>>   and what files collect in the debug dirs
>
> (its not possible to try to backup at work time.
> The Backup must run at night. When it runs it takes about 11 hours)

Surely not 11 hours for a run that is reduced to only one DLE
from the entire config and when that DLE will fail.

I made that suggestion so that you could do a test from the command
line without affecting your normal backup run overnight.

Once you try it and it fails, you can collect and set aside for
examination the logs and debug files that are generated for just
the failing DLE.  You can then reset the disklist by uncommenting
the temporarily commented out DLE and run your normal 11 hour,
unattended, overnight backup.

BTW  please do not include the responder in a cc as well as the
posting to the list.  I really don't need two copies of each post.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)