Amanda-Users

Re: DUMP and GNUTAR fail if backup > about 50GB

2006-02-08 09:56:12
Subject: Re: DUMP and GNUTAR fail if backup > about 50GB
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:43:26 -0500
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:15:35AM +0100, Sebastian Koesters wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have to backup about 80GB of Data from one Server.
>
> As Program i tried DUMP and GNUTAR but if amanda wants to make a level 0
> Backup it always fails.
>
> These dumps were to tape DailySet166.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet161.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   pst        /pst RESULTS MISSING
>

> STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    1:12
> Run Time (hrs:min)         1:12
> Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
> Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
> Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
> Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label             Time      Size      %    Nb
>   DailySet166       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
>

> DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                      DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
> HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
> -------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
> pst          /pst          MISSING --------------------------------------
>
> But if Amanda wants to make a Level 1 or 2 or.... (about 30 GB) everything
> works fine. How is this possible? Is there any size limiting with gnutar and
> dump?!

You say amanda will make level 1 & 2 type backups.  Do you mean you have
a history of this particular disklist entry (DLE) having had both full
and incremental backups in the past?  Reason I ask is twofold:

- Amanda will not do incrementals until it has done a full backup.  If in
  the past it did incrementals of pst:/pst, then it must have a done a
  level 0 and you already know it can and will do the large size dumps.

  This would suggest that there is some change since having done the past
  dumps, either in the amanda config or in pst:/pst.

- If you do not have a history of this DLE receiving even the first full
  backup, then accept our statement that there is no inherent limitation
  in amanda as to the size of the dump.  There is something wrong in the
  setup for this DLE or amanda installation.

For trouble shooting the report is a summary that sometimes gives useful
information.  More detailed info would be found in the debug files (config-
urable, but by default under /tmp/amanda) on both the server and the client.
Those files have to be examined for more detail on why the backup failed.
Try pinpointing error comments in those files about this DLE.

Couple of questions

- do any DLE's on any host work properly
- do any DLE's on host 'pst' work properly
- what is the size of your holding disk
- what is the size of the tape medium you are writing
- does amcheck report any errors
- is the directory you are backing up really called /pst and is on
  host pst and is there 80GB of data under that one directory
- is it a directory under the / file system or the mount point of
  a separate file system
- if a subdirectory, are you using gnutar
- if you clear out the debug files from /tmp/amanda (or where ever it
  is config'ed to be) on both the server and the client and you comment
  every DLE in the disklist except for the problem one pst:/pst then
  run amdump manually, what are the results, how long does it take,
  and what files collect in the debug dirs

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)