Amanda-Users

Re: First try at backing up other clients

2006-02-06 15:13:50
Subject: Re: First try at backing up other clients
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:10:35 -0800
Glenn English wrote:
On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 10:19 -0800, Kevin Till wrote:

Gordon J. Mills III wrote:

Thanks Stefan, I do have iptables running on the client since it is my
firewall machine.

There is another problem with amanda and iptables that made me crazy for
quite a while. It doesn't sound like it's your problem, but just in
case, here's a note I wrote to myself:

If a DLE is large and the client is behind an iptables firewall, the
estimate can timeout.   This is because iptables has a timeout (30
minutes) to kill inactive TCP connections, and the estimate takes
longer than that.    The kernel sends keepalive packets on TCP, but
the default time (2 hours (7200 seconds)) is longer than the iptables
timeout so iptables decides the connection has been abandoned and
tears it down. To fix this by setting the kernel keepalive time to 15 minutes, login as root on the client and: 'echo 900 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time'
see http://documents.made-it.com/iptables-timeout.html

The client's keepalive timeout is reset to 2 hours every time it
reboots.

Thanks Glenn! I have added the notes to http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Configuration_with_iptables#Additional_Notes

--
Thank you!