Amanda-Users

RE: datcompression Tandberg SLR7

2006-02-05 17:20:47
Subject: RE: datcompression Tandberg SLR7
From: uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:12:49 +0100
Matthias Andree writes:
> This looks strange. Is the drive in auto-retension mode and rewinding
> the tape again and again?

No, I typed 'su amanda -c "/usr/sbin/amtapetype -c -e 20g -f /dev/nst0'

> Does your drive have current firmware? Check tandberg.com.

This is worth a try, good idea.

> ship 3 MB/s out to the drive. If you're using an IDE drive to spool,
> check if it uses DMA with hdparm -I and perhaps turn it on with hdparm
> -d1 /dev/hda; and perhaps with hdparm -u1 /dev/hda set the "unmask
> interrupts" flag. It is said to not work on all hardware, but
> I have yet
> to find a hardware combination where -u1 didn't work.

I will check that on Monday, too. Before starting my experiments trying to
switch off compression I was quite happy with the drive and the speed. The
only thing what bothered me was the need to adjust the drive capacity in
amanda.conf several times taking into account that hw-compr. forced me to
guesstimate the tape length.

Best regards
Uwe

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit