Amanda-Users

RE: datcompression Tandberg SLR7

2006-02-05 17:33:42
Subject: RE: datcompression Tandberg SLR7
From: uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:27:59 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Did you give amtapetype a good estimate of your tape size?

I did it by 'su amanda -c "/usr/sbin/amtapetype -c -e 20g -f /dev/nst0'

> Might you have somehow mucked with the tape's blocksize when
> you turned off compression?  Typically amanda uses 32KB blocks
> and the drive is set to that or to "variable".  Some see much
> better performance on newer drives with a larger blocksize.
> Recent amanda versions allow this to be specified in amanda.conf.

I tried 512 bytes (SLR7 default), 32768 (Amanda default), but I did not try
"0" yet. I will do it tomorrow.

> Not to start a 'holy war' about software or hardware compression,
> but there is nothing wrong with deciding to go with HW compression.
> Amanda can't do bookkeeping so well then and you have to guesstimate
> the expected compression when specifying tape length.

That exactly was my motivation. I am very happy with SW-Compr. with
different DAT/DLT drives, and the SLR7 was a horn in my side. I can't change
the drive, and if I can't change the compression in a working manner I will
have to go back to hw-comp (even if I do not like it).

Thanks for your advices!
Uwe

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 16.5334 from 05.02.2006