Amanda-Users

Re: 2 Amanda questions

2006-02-05 11:06:35
Subject: Re: 2 Amanda questions
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:02:30 -0500
On Sunday 05 February 2006 10:32, zevel wrote:
>Thank you for your answers.
>Would it be safe to consider that RHEL 9 and/or FC4 would be able to
>support LTO3 ?
>Do I need  to install ftape-tools or  is this  obsolete ?

The stock reply, if mt can run the drive, then you're home free.  With
FC4, one might have to edit udev.conf to add a /dev/nst0, but that
should be the extent of system requirements.

ftape-tools are for some jurassic tape drives that attached to a floppy
controller.  Typically much less than 1GB devices.

I dare say zero usage of that rube goldburg contraption for all
practical purposes today.

>Cheers,
>Laurent.
>
>Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> zevel schreef:
>>> Hello Amanda Users,
>>>
>>> I've been through Docs and mans, and haven't found a definitive
>>> answer to my questions. I apologize up front if these are RTFM
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> 1) Does Amanda support LTO 3 formats ?
>>
>> If your OS can read/write the tapes, so can Amanda.
>>
>>> 2) Would it be possible to have Amanda backup the same data
>>> directory simultaneously to two LTO 3 drives ? The idea is to make
>>> 2 backups, one for normal restore operations, the other set for
>>> off-site storage.
>>
>> I think you are looking for a mirror with RAIT:
>>
>> http://wiki.zmanda.org/index.php?Rait
>
>---
>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0605-0, 01/29/2006
>Tested on: 2/5/2006 5:33:00 PM
>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

message by Gene Heskett are: