Amanda-Users

Re: Question about vtape size

2006-02-02 10:49:49
Subject: Re: Question about vtape size
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:44:19 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> In contrast, when I 'played' with vtapes a year or more
> earlier, I just specified a huge size, knowing it would
> "never" be exceeded.  However a possibility was that I
> would run the file system out of space if many vtapes
> were pretty full.

Indeed. Either you waste space, or you have the risk of running out of space.
I chose the second approach: my vtapes are on a local disk, and every 3 weeks I
manually copy the most recent vtapes to a removable disk (I have 2 of them).

Problems:
  - Both my local disk and the removable disks are too small to hold the full
    tapecycle.
  - I have to manually delete vtapes on the local disk on a regular base, to
    make space if the disk runs out-of-space.
  - Amanda doesn't keep track of vtapes older than tapecycle that are still on
    the oldest removable disk.

To solve these, I started writing a script that would automatically migrate
tapes to and from external disks, and create new and destroy old vtapes when
needed, but due to limited spare time it's not yet finished...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds