Amanda-Users

Backing up Maildirs

2006-01-25 19:29:24
Subject: Backing up Maildirs
From: Cameron Matheson <cameron.matheson AT fjcomm DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:18:51 -0700
Hi,

I've recently gotten the appropriate holes cut in my firewall that allow me to backup my mail server. The problem is that Maildirs don't seem to want to be backed up... the backups fail, w/ hundreds of errors like these in the logs:

?gtar:./home/vmail/fjcomm.com/V/foo.bar/new/1137800711.V805Iac017.zena.tonservices.com: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

I tried googling for what exactly 'Cannot stat' means, but I didn't come up w/ anything too conclusive. Anyway, why exactly should there be so many hundreds of these erros (mostly confined to one or two users mailboxes (but different users every night). If i don't back up the Maildirs, that server backs up just fine. It doesn't seem like these mailboxes should be changing *that* much overnight (maybe i'm wrong?).

Any suggestions appreciated,
Cameron Matheson