Amanda-Users

Re: Extracting from a gnutar image

2006-01-19 01:38:00
Subject: Re: Extracting from a gnutar image
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: jlb17 AT duke DOT edu
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:25:56 +0700 (ICT)
> > I can extract the gnutar image from the tape with amrestore, now how
> > can I untar the image file I get?
>
> This is why man pages exist -- 'man tar'.  'tar xf $FILENAME' is a good
> start.

Too true. I tried on another file extracted via amrestore, but it
complained about invalid format, that is why I asked. But it worked
with the one image I wanted to extract...

> > I have a file like amanda._var.20060117.1 what can I do with it?
>
> I think you were just using that as an example, but, just in case, note
> that that image is of /var (not /), and is a level 1 image.  You'd also
> need the previous level 0 to get a full restore.

Of course that was just an example and I really meant
amanda._.20060112.0 but I had no cut&paste available when I was
running holographic shell :)

Thanks any way,

Olivier