Amanda-Users

Re: Extracting from a gnutar image

2006-01-19 01:02:30
Subject: Re: Extracting from a gnutar image
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:52:46 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 at 12:40pm, Olivier Nicole wrote

I have to restore the root partition of the amanda server, so there is
quite some stuff to do by hand.

I can extract the gnutar image from the tape with amrestore, now how
can I untar the image file I get?

This is why man pages exist -- 'man tar'. 'tar xf $FILENAME' is a good start.

I have a file like amanda._var.20060117.1 what can I do with it?

I think you were just using that as an example, but, just in case, note that that image is of /var (not /), and is a level 1 image. You'd also need the previous level 0 to get a full restore.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering