Amanda-Users

amrecover not recovering directories

2006-01-19 03:33:57
Subject: amrecover not recovering directories
From: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:26:08 +0200
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with amrecover.
I am trying to recover directories from a level 0 backup which is on a single vtape.

Say the directory is /dir1 and in it I have 3 files: file1,file2,file3

if I use
amrecover> lcd /tmp/bu2
amrecover> cd /
/
amrecover> ls
2006-01-11 .
2006-01-11 dir1/
amrecover> add *
Added dir /dir1
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/daily on host xxx.yyy.zzz
The following tapes are needed: daily08

Restoring files into directory /tmp/bu2
Continue [?/Y/n]?

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/daily on host xxx.yyy.zzz
Load tape daily08 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]?
./dir1/
./dir1/file1
./dir1/file2
./dir1/file3
amrecover> exit
200 Good bye.

now, when looking at the created directories:

root AT www.yyy DOT zzz/tmp/bu2> ls *
dir1:

i.e. the directory was created but the files not restored. However if I use the following "add" command instead it works:

amrecover> cd /dir1
/dir1/
amrecover> add *
Added /dir1/file1
Added /dir1/file2
Added /dir1/file3
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/daily on host xxx.yyy.zzz
The following tapes are needed: daily08

Restoring files into directory /tmp/bu2
Continue [?/Y/n]?

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/daily on host xxx.yyy.zzz
Load tape daily08 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]?
./dir1/
./dir1/file1
./dir1/file2
./dir1/file3
amrecover> exit
200 Good bye.

--> naming the files explicitly restores them, while naming the directory only restores the directory. This is clearly wrong -- What did I forget ?

system info:
both server & client running fc1 with amanda 2.4.4p2-3.
Server is using vtapes

Thanks,
Shai