Amanda-Users

Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1

2005-12-30 10:22:37
Subject: Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:13:31 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 30 December 2005 04:12, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >> Some may say that this is a shortcoming of amanda, but I'm inclined
> >> to agree with the amanda design in this respect, as it can go on
> >> and finish the rest of the DLE list on the second (or more) tape
> >> its allowed to use by the runtapes setting.  If the DLE was truely
> >> too big for the medium, then it would sit there and use new medium
> >> each time until it had run out of runtapes, or usable tapes.  So if
> >> its a fail, there really isn't any use of a retry if the holding
> >> disk image is missing.
> >
> >Unfortunately she never continued with the remaining DLEs, they are
> > just marked as `RESULTS MISSING' in the report.
>
> Is this on the same machine, or on another client machine?  In the
> latter case, the connection may have timed out during the failure
> recovery.

Client and server are the same machine.

> What are the dtimeout and etimeouts set for in the amanda.conf?  The
> defaults there tend to be somewhat shorter than is sometimes needed.
> This is a moderately fast x86 box, with two clients, itself and my
> firewall box.  But it needs more than the default 300 seconds for some
> things:
> --------
> # grep timeout /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf
> etimeout 900         # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> dtimeout 1800        # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> ctimeout 8           # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
> -------

| [16:11:43]~#  grep timeout /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf
| etimeout 2000           # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
(default 300 s)
| ctimeout 30             # Maximum amount of time that amcheck will wait for
each client host. (default 30 s)
| dtimeout 3600           # Amount of idle time per disk on a  given client
that a dumper running from within amdump will wait before it fails with a data
timeout error. (default 1800 s)
| [16:11:51]~#

Should be OK...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds