Amanda-Users

Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1

2005-12-29 19:06:11
Subject: Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:55:07 -0500
On Thursday 29 December 2005 05:03, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 11:25, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> >Is anyone else using vtapes with runtapes > 1?
>> >
>> >Recently I decreased tapelength and increased runtapes from 1 to
>> > 2. On most days 1 vtape is sufficient. But every time Amanda hits
>> > (artificial as specified by tapetype) end of tape on a vtape and
>> > retries on the second tape,
>> >
>> >she fails with:

>> ISTR I had a similar problem Geert, but that was because I'd
>> somehow disabled my holding disk when I converted to vtapes.
>> Fixing the
>
>I'm indeed not using a holding disk.

That begs the question then Geert, are you going to have one tonight?

You see, the reason it failed after it brought in the next 'tape' is
that once it had done that, it then discovered that since there was no
holdng disk image to work from, it had no copy of the src tarball to
retry a save of.  Since amanda isn't wired to repeat the whole
disklist entry in the event of a failure, it has no choice but to send
you a fail message.

Some may say that this is a shortcoming of amanda, but I'm inclined to
agree with the amanda design in this respect, as it can go on and
finish the rest of the DLE list on the second (or more) tape its
allowed to use by the runtapes setting.  If the DLE was truely too big
for the medium, then it would sit there and use new medium each time
until it had run out of runtapes, or usable tapes.  So if its a fail,
there really isn't any use of a retry if the holding disk image is
missing.

message by Gene Heskett are: