Amanda-Users

vtapes and runtapes > 1

2005-12-28 11:49:19
Subject: vtapes and runtapes > 1
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:25:15 +0100 (CET)
        Hi all,

Is anyone else using vtapes with runtapes > 1?

Recently I decreased tapelength and increased runtapes from 1 to 2.
On most days 1 vtape is sufficient. But every time Amanda hits (artificial as
specified by tapetype) end of tape on a vtape and retries on the second tape,
she fails with:

|*** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
|
|These dumps were to tapes DAILY14, DAILY15.
|The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to used are: DAILY16, DAILY17.
|
|FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
|  anakin     /usr/share lev 3 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by peer"]

|USAGE BY TAPE:
|  Label         Time      Size      %    Nb
|  DAILY14       0:10  3058470k  100.2    20
|  DAILY15       0:00        0k    0.0     0

|FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
|
|/-- anakin     /usr/share lev 3 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by peer"]
|sendbackup: start [anakin:/usr/share level 3]
|sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
|sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
|sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
|sendbackup: info end

|NOTES:
|  taper: tape DAILY14 kb 3071968 fm 21 writing file: No space left on device
|  taper: retrying anakin:/usr/share.3 on new tape: [writing file: No space
left on device]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes I get `[writing file: short write]' here instead.

|  taper: tape DAILY15 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]

|DUMP SUMMARY:
|                                                 DUMPER STATS
 TAPER STATS
|HOSTNAME   DISK                 L   ORIG-kB    OUT-kB   COMP%  MMM:SS    KB/s
MMM:SS    KB/s
|--------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
---------------
|anakin     /usr/share           3 FAILED

The first vtape contains all succesfully backed up DLEs, and a part of the
failed DLE.

The second vtape always contains the tape header and the tape end only,
but no evidence of the retried DLE:

| # ls -l
| total 72
| -rw-------  1 backup backup    10 Dec 28 00:57 00000-DAILY15
| -rw-------  1 backup backup 32768 Dec 28 00:57 00000.DAILY15
| -rw-------  1 backup backup    10 Dec 28 00:57 00001-TAPEEND
| -rw-------  1 backup backup 32768 Dec 28 00:57 00001.TAPEEND
| #

/tmp/amanda/sendbackup.20051228005526.debug doesn't contain any clues,
just `strange(?): gzip: stdout: Connection reset by peer' instead of the
usual `size(|): Total bytes written ...'.

I'm using Amanda 2.4.5-2 (from Debian testing) and tpchanger "chg-disk"
with the `file:' driver.

Any one with a clue? Thanks!

I guess for now I'll fall back to using `runtapes 1' and very large tape
lengths, so all daily backups will fit on one tape (until my vtape partition
fills up, of course)...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds