Amanda-Users

Re: Disable Tape Compression

2005-09-29 17:39:39
Subject: Re: Disable Tape Compression
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:35:27 -0400
On Thursday 29 September 2005 17:06, Christopher Davis wrote:
>The drive doesn't have any dip switches - I even took the drive out of
> the encosure and couldn't find anything.
>
>I copied the wrong mt command over -
>
>Where I'm at now is looking at stinit ant the /etc/stinig.def file to
> create a /dev/nst0l device which disables compression - I'm in the
> middle of another test right now and can't try it out just yet - but if
> this works for me I'll send it to the list.  We have a ton of these Sun
> SDLT 220 drives floating around and want to use them.
>

>I ran some tests using hardware compression and wasn't impressed with
> the results so I'm trying it with it off.

Be aware that for many tape formats, the compression status is saved
in a hidden header of the tape, so that once its been written in the
compression on mode, that will be restored to on when the
tape is loaded regardless of your wishes unless specifically disabled.

I had a script at one time that turned these flags off, and it looked
something like this:

#!/bin/sh
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
dd if=/dev/st0 of=./scratch count=1
mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression off (or 0 depending on your mt)
mt -f /dev/nst0 compression off (or 0 depending on your mt)
dd if=./scratch of =/dev/nst0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/st0 count=(your drives buffer size plus 1)
dd if=/dev/st0 (should show the tape label unchanged from ./scratch)

Note use of /dev/st0 for its automatic rewind in places. simplifies
the script..

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: