Amanda-Users

Re: Failed and strange dump summary

2005-09-21 09:41:38
Subject: Re: Failed and strange dump summary
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 at 9:04am, Guy Dallaire wrote

> It's very rare that I don't come up here in the morning and don't see
> failed and strange dumps in my 10 machines backup.

FAILED is a lot different than STRANGE.

> Most of the time, this occurs because some housekeeping/cleaning is
> between the time the estimates and backups are done.
>
> Most of the time, the message is there because a file disapeared, or
> changed in size.
>
> I can live with it.
>
> Since I've put my amanda indexes and log elsewhere (in
> /usr/local/var/amanda) I often get the following kind of messages:
>
> /-- lnx-que-am / lev 2 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [lnx-que-amanda:/ level 2]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/gtar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gtar -f... -
> sendbackup: info end
> ? gtar:
> ./usr/local/var/amanda/idx/DailySet1/index/chablis/_/20050921_1.gz.tmp:
> Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> ? gtar:
> ./usr/local/var/amanda/idx/DailySet1/index/lnx-que-wforms1-dev/_WEB__DEP__6i/20050921_1.gz.tmp:
> Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> | Total bytes written: 372920320 (356MiB, 2.7MiB/s)
> sendbackup: size 364180
> sendbackup: end
> \--------
>
> Looks like some temporary compressed index files from the current run
> should be there but are not. Could there be a problem here ? If not,
> is there a way to stop amanda from complaining about missing files ?
>
> Do you see similar behavior ?

You're always going to see that when trying to back up the index directory
of an active amanda setup.  What I do is run a script after the backups
are done which tars up all the config and index dirs and puts them in a
few different locations which then get backed up that night.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering