Amanda-Users

Re: Failed and strange dump summary

2005-09-21 11:24:52
Subject: Re: Failed and strange dump summary
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:11:01 -0400
On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:31, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 at 9:04am, Guy Dallaire wrote
>
>> It's very rare that I don't come up here in the morning and don't
see
>> failed and strange dumps in my 10 machines backup.
>
>FAILED is a lot different than STRANGE.
>
>> Most of the time, this occurs because some housekeeping/cleaning is
>> between the time the estimates and backups are done.
>>
>> Most of the time, the message is there because a file disapeared,
or
>> changed in size.
>>
>> I can live with it.
>>
>> Since I've put my amanda indexes and log elsewhere (in
>> /usr/local/var/amanda) I often get the following kind of messages:
>>
>> /-- lnx-que-am / lev 2 STRANGE
>> sendbackup: start [lnx-que-amanda:/ level 2]
>> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/gtar
>> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gtar -f... -
>> sendbackup: info end
>> ? gtar:

./usr/local/var/amanda/idx/DailySet1/index/chablis/_/20050921_1.gz.tmp
>>: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>> ? gtar:

./usr/local/var/amanda/idx/DailySet1/index/lnx-que-wforms1-dev/_WEB__D
>>EP__6i/20050921_1.gz.tmp: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> | Total bytes written: 372920320 (356MiB, 2.7MiB/s)
>>
>> sendbackup: size 364180
>> sendbackup: end
>> \--------
>>
>> Looks like some temporary compressed index files from the current
run
>> should be there but are not. Could there be a problem here ? If
not,
>> is there a way to stop amanda from complaining about missing files
?

>> Do you see similar behavior ?
>
>You're always going to see that when trying to back up the index
> directory of an active amanda setup.  What I do is run a script
after
> the backups are done which tars up all the config and index dirs and
> puts them in a few different locations which then get backed up that
> night.

That mans your indices and such are all out of date by one run.  I
didn't like that when I got to thinking about os I go ahead and append
them to the same tape Joshua.  When I was using tape, I had to reduce
the tapetype size to make sure there was room for the 2 extra files,
in my case about 100 megs.  Now useing vtapes, I just watch the df
report, trying to keep the drive at 90% or so.

So my backup has its uptodate indices on the same tape or in the same
dir of a vtape.  I sleep better. :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: