Amanda-Users

Re: Compilation quirks

2005-09-20 01:21:24
Subject: Re: Compilation quirks
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:18:28 -0400
On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:43:37AM +0900, David Leangen wrote:

> Just for the archives, in case anybody else has the same problem...
>
> > > I compiled both my client and server with the options:
> > >
> > >  --with-portrange=50000,50100 --with-udpportrange=512,520
> > >

> > > However, when I run amdump, on my client machine, apparently
> >  > it is attempting to use a different port.
>
> I played around with this some more and noticed a few things that don't
> seem to be mentioned in the docs...
>
> First, the settings for determining what port is used is indeed in the
> client configuration, not the server.

I've not had to specify portranges (no firewall), but IIRC the comments
on the list have said both the client and the server must be configured
similarly.

> Second, there appear to be two configuration parameters for port numbers:
>
>   --with-portrange
>   --with-tcpportrange
>
> Does anybody know what the difference is between the two?

According to the ChangeLog for 2001, tcpportrange was introduced as an
alias for portrange.  It made more sense to use udpportrange and tcpportrange.
The portrange was unspecific and some people thought it set both tcp and udp.

> In any case, I set both of these parameters to "=50000,50100" and my
> problem was solved.

Shouldn't be needed, just use tcpportrange (and udpportrange if needed).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)