Amanda-Users

Re: AW: Problem with backup from 64bit Client

2005-09-19 08:13:01
Subject: Re: AW: Problem with backup from 64bit Client
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Sebastian Kösters <skoesters AT sino DOT de>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 at 1:58pm, Sebastian Kösters wrote

> Why do you think /var is my Problem?

It was a hunch, and I was right.  See below.

> And whats about /var/log/lastlog. Where do i have to exclude it?

On 64bit systems, /var/log/lastlog is a sparse file with an apparently
*gigantic* size (it appears to be >1TiB, but is really only few K).  tar
has changed its handling of sparse files recently, and now essentially
scans the whole file.  This takes a long time on 64bit systems.

> sendsize.20050919010115.debug
.
.
> sendsize[32213]: estimate time for /var level 0: 5480.174
> sendsize[32213]: estimate size for /var level 0: 1052400 KB

See how long it took to estimate /var?  If you do etimeout*number of FSs
on this client, I'm sure that the estimate time above will be bigger than
the result, which is why your estimates are timing out.

For info on how to exclude, see the documentation, specifically
<http://www.amanda.org/docs/exclude.html>.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering