Amanda-Users

Re: Index files not being created

2005-09-16 10:30:59
Subject: Re: Index files not being created
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:22:20 -0400
Some of your comments confuse me.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:39:18PM +1200, Cameron Beattie wrote:
> I believe this problem is resolved thanks to some help from the list. See
> my inline comments for the resolution.

> The warning is no longer present in the log and the index seems to be
> created:
> ls -laF /var/lib/amanda/normal/index/hostname/_etc
> drwxr-sr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Sep 16 17:29 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Sep 13 16:47 ../
> -rw-------  1 amanda disk 7595 Sep 16 17:29 20050916_0.gz

The name of that directory, "_etc" says it was created
to index a DLE named "/etc".  All slashes, "/", are
converted to underscores, "_".

An index directory for a DLE of the root file system named
"/" would show up as "...ex/hostname/_".

> gunzip -d 20050916_0.gz
> vi 20050916_0
> This shows all files and directories listed as expected

You decompressed the file before looking at it. (btw the
-d was ignored as redundant)  Did you recompress it before
trying amrecover?  amrecover expects the compressed file.

> However amrecover reports
> cd /etc
> amrecover -C normal
> "No index records for disk for specified date"

This is why I ask the above question.  A safer way to
view, not edit, a gzip'ped file is gzmore.

BTW, a paranoid like myself would never do a recovery in
the original location.  There is too much danger of trashing
something unintended.  I make, or use, an empty directory
and cd there.  Then I set the diskname on either the command
line or after entering amrecover.

> >>hostname / {
> >>  root-tar
> >>  include "./etc"
> >>}

An index directory for this would be called "_".

> I had changed /etc/amanda/normal/disklist to:
> hostname /etc root-tar

The amdump then created the above index dir "_etc".

> When I changed it back to:
> hostname / {
>   root-tar
>   include "./etc"
> }
>
> I could successfully use amrecover.
> I don't understand why but it works now.

Give what you've shown I don't either.
Strictly a guess, you have an index dir and
indicies that you overlooked because of their
simple name "_".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)