Amanda-Users

Re: questions about tunning configuration

2005-09-15 16:14:46
Subject: Re: questions about tunning configuration
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:49:23 -0400
On Thursday 15 September 2005 09:11, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> > Tapecycle is also the number of slots in the virtual tape changer
if
>> > you use vtapes. Actually that isn't completely correct neither,
as I
>> > found out amtape continues scanning after the last accessed tape,
>> > but it refuses to scan for more than tapecycle tapes in one
>> > invocation.
>> >
>> > I'd like to have tapecycle different from the number of slots in
the
>> > virtual tape changer, so I can move vtapes offline, like with a
real
>> > changer. Right now the workaround is to make the number of slots
>> > equal to tapecycle, but this makes some assumptions I'd prefer
not
>> > to make.
>>
>> I presume this is a problem in the changer script, not amtape per
se.
>> What changer script do you use?  Any script hackers want to tackle
it?

>chg-disk
>
>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert;

I've been running chg-disk for about a year, maybe longer.  As you
can see with ls, each virtual tape is nothing but a directory that is
linked to as appropriate.  There is nothing I can think of that would
preclude the copying of a directory (and its associated index files)
to one or more data dvd's in order to 'take a snapshot' for archival
reasons.  Or, if there is space available on the target drive, I
assume it could be marked as no-reuse, and a new directory created
and amlabeled in its place.

In my case that would rapidly lead to my needing to get another
interface card and add anoither large drive, so I haven't explored
that path yet.  I'm already using all 4 ide/atapi drives on the
motherboard.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: