Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda unable to use amrecover ssince dumptype change for a New Monthly back up as well as Daily.

2005-09-06 13:43:14
Subject: Re: Amanda unable to use amrecover ssince dumptype change for a New Monthly back up as well as Daily.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:34:52 -0400
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:55:05PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
> Hi again
>
> I have run the following :
>
> root@myserver:/ # amrecover DailySet1 -s myserver.smtl.co.uk -t
> myserver.smtl.co.uk
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.4p2. Contacting server on nemesis.smtl.co.uk ...
> 220 nemesis AMANDA index server (2.4.4p2) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2005-09-06)
> 200 Working date set to 2005-09-06.
> Warning: no log files found for tape SMTLSet109 written 2005-08-25
> Warning: no log files found for tape SMTLSet108 written 2005-08-24
> Warning: no log files found for tape SMTLSet107 written 2005-08-23
> Warning: no log files found for tape SMTLSet106 written 2005-08-22
> Warning: no log files found for tape SMTLSet105 written 2005-08-22
> Scanning /dumps/amanda...
>   20050707: found Amanda directory.
>   20050713: found Amanda directory.
>   20050714: found Amanda directory.
>   20050829: found Amanda directory.
>   20050905: found Amanda directory.
> 200 Config set to DailySet1.
> 501 Host myserver is not in your disklist.
> Trying host myserver.smtl.co.uk ...
> 200 Dump host set to myserver.smtl.co.uk.
> Trying disk / ...
> $CWD '/' is on disk '/' mounted at '/'.
> 200 Disk set to /.
> /
> amrecover> setdate 2005-09-02
> 200 Working date set to 2005-09-02.
> amrecover> ls
> amrecover> cd backup
> amrecover> ls
>
> The test-recovery file doesn't now exist I have the correct tape that
> was used from last friday and I expected to be able to extrat previous
> test a file exist and when a run add and extract it promted me to put
> the tape in have I missed something as I am aware that the test-recovery
> file doesn't exist except for on the SMTLSet103 tape that's currently in
> the tape server.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 11:18 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 03:07:54PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
> > wrote:
> > > Hi I had a monthly and daily script that checked if it was last friday
> > > of the month.
> > > Thus it reverts back to daily config after amcheck notes that a monthly
> > > tape is still in the server thus I have since the first monthly tape was
> > > used to backup I have been using daily tape thus data that We used on
> > > the friday last was a daily but when I try amrecover it doesn't tell
> > > which tape use for the date. I did change the dumptype paremeter from
> > > default "yes" TO no So I may have mos configured but the fact that
> > > amdump made a back up of that date I still believed I could still get
> > > that date data back using amrecover.
> > >
> > > Thus is there away say using amadmin to get data by the a way inserting
> > > that date tape.
> > >
> > > Cheers

> > <soapbox>
> > Top posting is such a pain in continuing a conversation.
> [...]

Was last Friday's dump (Sep 2) a "monthly config friday"
or a "daily config friday"?

You have 'record no' set in the monthly config only, right?

You do have 'index yes' set in both configs, right?

amrecover doesn't care what tape is in the drive when you
are doing the browsing, adding files to the extract list,
etc.  Only when you ask it to do the extract does it care
and at that time it asks you to put in the tape it wants.

The files names you browse come from the indexes, not the tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)