Amanda-Users

Re: Simple backup tape encryption

2005-06-27 04:54:47
Subject: Re: Simple backup tape encryption
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:35:18 +0200
Bruce Fletcher wrote:
I would like to propose an idea for the Amanda wishlist. Assuming there aren't enough items on that list already...

<sigh> ;)

What I am imagining is putting a simple symmetric encryption key for perhaps AES encryption in the Amanda config file, and then perhaps enabling encryption in dumptype records. Assuming encryption is the last thing that happens before a DLE goes to tape and the first thing that happens on the way back, most of the Amanda chain would not need to know about the presence of any encryption. And for disaster recovery, you would presumably want to have a printout of your Amanda config offsite, so your password would be recoverable.

As a start, is this idea conceptually sound? Maybe it could be implemented already with wrapper scripts?

Good idea, this would add value to AMANDA.

I am currently playing around with a wrapper-setup using aespipe (http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/).

Should be relatively easy to implement in a wrapper, yes.
Maybe someone else wants to dig into this as well?

Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member