Amanda-Users

Re: amanda dumping salad of levels

2005-06-26 18:35:44
Subject: Re: amanda dumping salad of levels
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:12:53 -0400
On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 04:13:30PM +0300, Leonid Shulov wrote:
> Hi,
> My amanda configurations is:
> - DailySetPS - Fraiday weekly to tape (Full dump PS and servers)
> 00 0 * * 5 root /etc/amanda/amdumpPS.cron
>
> - DailySetL - Workday nightly (5 days) to holding disk (incremental dump
> PS and servers with Mandrake Linux PC)
> 30 1 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amdump00.cron
>
> - DailySetTP - Monday weekly to tape (Full dump notebooks)
> /etc/amanda/amdumpTP.cron
>
> - DailySetY - Thuesday weekly to tape (Full dump boss notebooks)
> 00 10 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amdump10.cron
>

> - DailySetE - Wednesday nightly to tape (Full dump Mandrake Linux PC)
> 00 20 * * 3 root /etc/amanda/amdumpPE.cron
>
> - DailySet2 - Workday (3 times X 5 days) to holding disk
> (12:00,15:00,18:00 incremental dump notebooks)
> 00 12 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amdump12.cron
> 00 15 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amdump15.cron
> 00 18 * * 0-3 root /etc/amanda/amdump18.cron
>
> - DailySetY - Workday (1 time X 5 days) to holding disk (10:00
> incremental dump boss notebook)
> 00 10 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amdump10.cron
>
> - DailySetF - Workday nightly (5 days) flush from holding disk to tape
> 00 20 * * 0-4 root /etc/amanda/amflush.cron
>
> Attached: 1. /etc/amanda/DailySet2/amanda.conf
> 2. /home/amanda/amd/ logfile
>

> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 02:10:55PM +0300, Leonid Shulov wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>I upgraded my amanda to 2.4.5 version, and after that sometimes amanda
> >>do backup with lev0 without any tape to holding disk. This broke all my
> >>work order. Before I do full PC dump once a week at Saturday nightly,
> >>incremental  PC dump nightly in working days to holding disk. Daily
> >>incremental  Notebook dump I do to  holding disk.
> >>
> >>And now I don't know what to do, amanda dumping salad of levels: 0,1....n
> >>

> >The behavior you describe, a mixture of levels, is the 'normal'
> >behavior for amanda.  That amanda was behaving differently before
> >suggests you had some aspect of your configuration set to
> >force amanda to your desireed scheme.  I'm surprised that a
> >version change in the amanda executables would change its
> >behavior with respect to an existing configuration.
> >
> >Let us know how your configuration tries to force amanda into
> >the non-standard behavior you want.  Maybe we will be able to
> >notice something that is now apparent from what your posted.

Leonid,
amazingly complex setup.  Seems like there could be a simpler,
?better? way to solve your requirements.  But you know your
needs better than we.

It seems like you run many configs, with perhaps a total of
about 40 amump runs per/work week.  From what you present
I can't tell if there is any overlap in config directories,
disklists, log and index files, ...

The one you show in more detail, DailySet2, seems to use the
a subdir of the amanda user's home for its logs.  Also this
config uses tapes called DailySet1 despite the DailySet2 name.
Do all your configs get flushed to the same tape?

None of that addresses your stated problem, a changed behavior
where you are now getting a mixture of full and incremental
dumps when you want one or the other.  But I see nothing in
your DailySet2 amanda.conf file that would force one or the
other behavior, no "increment only" type directives, so the
behavior you are seeing is exactly the behavior I would expect,
amanda's default of a mixture of levels.

Is there something in your cron scripts that you expect would
force this behavior?

A common way to force amanda to behave the way you seem to want
is to have a very long dumpcycle, a directive of increment only
or no-full, and when you actually do want a full dump, use amadmin
to "force" a level 0 dump on the next run.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)