Amanda-Users

Re: Simple backup tape encryption

2005-06-27 15:27:33
Subject: Re: Simple backup tape encryption
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:10:01 +0200
Bruce Fletcher wrote:

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Right now I have a vtape-setup, which does AES-encryption with amdump,
and AES-decryption with amrestore. This works fine already.

What is still missing, is the support of amrecover, seems like there's
something wrong with the index-generation, the files are there, but no
proper content ...

Update:

amrecover works now as well, indexes are generated and read properly.
The vtapes are encrypted AND (more important) decrypted now, works fine so far.

I am going to add some more DLEs from some unpatched AMANDA-clients now
to see what happens ...

Wow, Stefan, that sounds great!  I wasn't expecting such fast results.

Same here ...

  http://aescrypt.sourceforge.net/
It ignores all other lines in the file. I was thinking that if Amanda could ignore the kk= line, then the key could be stored in the normal Amanda configuration file without any patching of the utility, and there would also be no need to have another separate configuration file.

My preference is to have the passphrase separated as this enables to protect this file better. And you could put this passphrase onto some other media, say, a USB-stick or something ...

There are many ways of securing things then ...

Anyway, just a thought. I should just get out of your way, though, and let you get those encrypted backups flowing.

;)

Greets, Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger