Amanda-Users

Re: Difficulties with cleaning tape

2005-06-09 02:31:20
Subject: Re: Difficulties with cleaning tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:14:21 -0400
On Thursday 09 June 2005 01:23, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:46:33PM -0700, Lists wrote:
>> I am having difficulties using cleaning tapes on a HP c1557a
>> Surestore DAT 24x6 with Amanda 2.4.4p3, chg-zd-mtx shipped with
>> Amanda, and mtx 1.2.18-5. Note: I am able to backup, move tapes,
>> eject, etc.
>>
>> Some of the oddities I am seeing are given below followed by
>> configuration information.
>
>I have the same unit, not working now :(
>
>I was unable to leave a cleaning cartridge in the magazine.
>It was no fault of amanda, just the nature of the drive.
>Anytime the drive saw the cleaning cartridge in the magazine
>during its initial scan, it ran the cleaning cycle and
>ejected the magazine.

My Seagate 4586n's (4 DDS2 tape magazine) did essentially the same
thing, except they will occasionally get into a loop, continuously
reloading the cleaning tape, which as you can imagine is a bit hard
on head life.

The next to last one ran every night for over a year before it
demanded a cleaning tape, and 3 cleanings later it was gone forever.

So I guess one shouldn't leave a cleaning tape in the magazine,
inserting it by itself when the drive starts erroring.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: