Amanda-Users

Difficulties with cleaning tape

2005-06-09 01:10:05
Subject: Difficulties with cleaning tape
From: "Lists" <lists AT kinetotech DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:46:33 -0700
I am having difficulties using cleaning tapes on a HP c1557a Surestore
DAT 24x6 with Amanda 2.4.4p3, chg-zd-mtx shipped with Amanda, and mtx
1.2.18-5. Note: I am able to backup, move tapes, eject, etc.

Some of the oddities I am seeing are given below followed by
configuration information.

amtape clean reports:
amtape: device -1 not clean: No source specified

If I run it a second time:
amtape: device -1 is clean

amtape show reports:
amtape: scanning all 6 slots in tape-changer rack:
slot 1: date X label weekly01
slot 2: date X label weekly02
slot 3: date X label weekly03
slot 4: date X label weekly04
slot 5: date X label weekly05
amtape: could not load slot 6: Cleaning Cartridge Installed and
Ejected

If I move the cleaning tape to slot 1 and update changer.conf,
amtape reset, then amtape show, I immediately receive the 'cleaning
cartridge installed and eject' then it aborts. It will not move past
slot 1.

/etc/amanda/<conf>/changer.conf

firstslot=1
lastslot=5
cleanslot=6
autoclean=0
autocleancount=25
cleancycle 200
driveslot=0

/etc/amanda/<conf>/amanda.conf

org "weekly" # your organization name for reports
mailto "root@localhost # space separated list of operators at your
site
dumpuser "amanda" # the user to run dumps under
inparallel 4 # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage 600 Kbps # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec
dumpcycle 0 days
#dumpcycle 4 weeks # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 0 days
#runspercycle 4 weeks # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 25 tapes # the number of tapes in rotation
bumpsize 20 Mb # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1 # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4 # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
etimeout 300 # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx" # the tape-changer glue script. 04/2005 RGH
tapedev "/dev/nst0" # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/nst0" # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer"
#changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/weekly/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/sg1" # 04/2005 RGH
tapetype c1557a # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^weekly[0-9][0-9]*$" # label constraint regex: all tapes
must match
holdingdisk hd1 {
comment "main holding disk"
directory "/var/tmp" # where the holding disk is
use 500 Mb } # how much space can we use on it
infofile "/var/lib/amanda/weekly/curinfo" # database filename
logdir "/var/lib/amanda/weekly" # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/weekly/index" # index directory
define tapetype c1557a {
comment "HP Surestore c1557a"
length 11735 mbytes
filemark 78 kbytes