Amanda-Users

Re: Fwd: one box won't back up!

2005-06-07 05:53:24
Subject: Re: Fwd: one box won't back up!
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Cam <cameron.matheson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:26:38 +0200
Cam wrote:

Had the exact same problem last week. Solution was to modify
Checkpoint FW-1 Firewall rules to time out UDP packets after 10
minutes instead of the default 40 seconds.

If you use another stateful firewall, look at it's documentation. The
problem lies in the fact that there is a timeout with UDP packets.

I'm just running a fairly simple iptables firewall... any clues on how
to change the timeout for UDP packets (i always thought this would
have been a thing i would tweak in amanda).

Iptables cannot change it for all udp packets (would be a bad idea too),
but the good news is that the ip_conntrack_amanda module can tune it,
specifically for amanda, using the "master_timeout=..." parameter:

http://www.amanda.org/docs/faq.html#id2554525

(The default UDP timeout in iptables is 180 seconds.)